Winter in Ontario provides an opportunity to get out and have some fun with the many family activities available. Try some of the activities listed below when the snow is falling. Make sure to dress accordingly with proper winter coats and gear as well as take winter safety precautions before heading out.
- Top 10 winter family favorites:
Outdoor skating: There are many ice-rinks throughout the province plus lakes for pond hockey
- Outdoor ice-hockey: Grab a hockey stick and a game of shinny or broom ball at a rink north of Toronto at resorts or in the many towns and cities.
- Snow tubing: Get your own snow tube or indulge with a snowtubing getaway at a hill nearby or in resort destinations north of Toronto
- Dog Sledding: Experience a dog sledding adventure at a winter carnival or at one of the many resort destinations north with a dog sledding getaway.
- Snow Forts and Igloos: Building snow forts, or igloos. Many Ontario resorts have special winter family getaways with outdoor activities.
- Birdwatching: Nature Viewing-bird watching-migration of waterfowl as birds look for open water. Kids love to feed the birds. See outdoor nature attractions and adventures.
- Ice fishing: Ice safety is critical to a fun, family experience
- Winter Bonfire: Enjoying an outdoor bonfire–kids love to roast marshmallows and sip hot chocolate after an outdoor winter activity or adventure.
- Skiing: Downhill Skiing or Cross Country Skiing either at organized ski area destinations or in the case of x-country one can always head out on natural trails or make your own trails. Check Ski, Snow, and Snowboard reports
- Snowshoeing: This can be an exhilarating activity depending on the pace. A slower pace is recommended for families with younger children. A variety of lightweight snow shoes make the snowshoeing a lot easier today. Many snow destinations have snowshoe rentals or in some cases include snowshoes are included in snowshoe getaway packages.
- Tobogganing and sleigh riding: Lots of hills and thrills north of Toronto with many resorts offering horse drawn sleigh rides.
- Winter Carnivals: See ice sculptures, experience all of the fun winter activities that you can imagine in a winter carnival wonderland North.
- Maple Syrup festivals: Early Spring or late winter in March towards the end of the winter season and offer up a great family experience with sleigh rides, maple syrup tasting, snow maple fudge where hot syrup is poured on fresh snow- -a truly Canadian event. Get out and enjoy one of the many Maple Syrup Festivals north of Toronto. Many resort destinations will be producing